Monday, November 4, 2013

A long Sunday and the BA outskirts


           After sitting inside all day on saturday feeling sorry for myself (because of the sty - which by the way is not a sty ... but I won't bore you with details) I decided to make the most of the Sunday. I stuffed my hat deep on my had so that it would conceal my Quasimodo appearance and off I went. First to the Colón Theater to a cello concert...
In the subway station the City of Buenos Aires warned me that my computer might be at risk
           I thought of my macbook laying on the corner of the desk in my more than sketchy ground floor room, where the window doesn't even close properly - not to mention lock! but I refused to take this as a warning. 
In the subway two guys asked me for the time - I do look foreign and they probably wanted to check what phone I had... or what other assets. My Samsung Star must have been disappointing. One of them chatted me up afterwards and when he was 100% sure I was not a rich tourist, left. Not before making me understand that Dracula was no big fuss here, but Hagi still was. Romania's football team defeated Argentina's in the '94 World cup (not preowned knowledge - just googled)
          At the concert venue: I waited 40 minutes for the guy that was supposed to have my ticket. I didn't and don't know him - I found out about the concert through Couchsurfing and as I couldn't be there on friday to pick up a ticket, he offered to get one for me. He didn't show up at the meeting place (later when I got home, I found a message, sent after I left the house, saying that he will not be at THAT meeting point but not saying where ... O_o) Well,  somebody had an extra ticket and I got in - at the 6th level, but there was nothing to be seen anyway
           The concert was nice, there was one part that I particularly liked, but I have no idea what was it, so my musical culture remains unenriched. I guess I like Astor Piazzolla better on cellos than on bandoneon...
         12:30 concert over and I am rushing to the Retiro train station to go to Seba's place (remember Sebastian, from the studio - it's his birthday and he's having a barbecue ) which is a bit outside BA, actually outside Capital Federal. 
The dreaded train ride... the one that I've been reading about on travellers' blogs on Buenos Aires that you should only do if you have no other choice 

 ... meh! I guess growing up in communist Romania and especially in the general dismantling that followed, kinda gives you a high tolerance to this... And you know what? - the railroads and stations might be poorer, but they are much cleaner than the ones today in the EU member state Romania.
Just look at this! :
     what you see there in the distance are what one might call 'the slums', but it's not like they are far away from the city center... And I don't know if it's just my touristic eye, and the general disposition to like everything, but I find these dwellings heartbreakingly lovely ...

         The birthday party: nice crowd, too much sun, frantic dogs... nothing spectacular! - 
really! these people are just like us : somewhat nerdish, somewhat hippy, somewhat punk... some hipsters. The food is almost the same, the wine also, except they drink it with ice... they even play the same things as in Berlin
 and some people can never stop being artists ;)
oh, that is the 'chocotorta' - the never missing argentinian birthday cake! (chocolate biscuits and dulce de leche - grand cuisine!) 
The weed is better.
            All peachy, but at some point i felt I had too much sun and my eye was burning also so I thought I'd make it home early... HAHA! - here's where the long part of the day starts: 
I took the bus back to BA, and as if it that wasn't bad enough, considering the sunday evening traffic into town, I took it in the wrong direction! Go me! 
So, with the visiting of even further outskirts 
 ... i finally made it home after 3 hours.

And then I took my hat off.

No comments:

Post a Comment